Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > News > Club 1541 Interview: Former Student Producing Britain's Favourite Breakfast Show

Club 1541 Interview: Former Student Producing Britain's Favourite Breakfast Show

8 Apr 2024
Written by George Smith
News

We were very lucky to be able to sit down with former student Alice Garry (née Key) to hear all about her exciting career working for BBC Breakfast...

Hi Alice, thank you so much for taking part in our series of Alumni interviews! To start things off, when were you at King's?

1997 - 2011 

Which House were you in?

Serlo. I was also house captain in my final year. 

What are your favourite memories from your time at King's?

Performing in school plays, house competitions, especially music and drama, and of course being at school when the Harry Potter crew came to film! Sadly, I wasn’t an extra in any of the films, but I still remember seeing Dumbledore striding across our school playing field in a hairnet (one for his head and one for his beard) and the Weasley twins chatting to us and signing autographs during our lunch break. 

What have you been up to since leaving school?

I have completed two degrees, lived in six different cities, travelled to some amazing places, got married, and adopted a rescue greyhound!

How did you fall in love with journalism and how did you find your way to your current role?

After my A-levels, I went to university to study politics, and whilst I was there, I got involved in student television, which helped me get lots of experience in different areas of TV production, that was when I decided I quite liked the idea of being a journalist. I went on to do a masters in broadcast journalism, and then I was lucky enough to get a place on the ITV news trainee scheme which eventually led to a permanent job. After six years with ITV, I applied for a producer role at BBC Breakfast in Salford and I’ve been there for almost three years now. 

What is it like to work at the world famous BBC?

It’s definitely an exciting place to work; our team is fantastic, and we get to do some really fun and creative stories as well as cover breaking news and everything else in between. The best thing about my work is that it gets watched by millions of people every day, and that always blows my mind. 

What is a normal day for you like at work?

No day is ever quite the same because the news agenda changes so much, but we do work 12-hour shifts, which includes nights, so it’s definitely not a 9-5 role. On day shifts, I research and book guests; on night shifts, I put together news reports, write scripts, and time the programme so we don’t crash off air! But for me, the best part of the job by far is getting to go out filming and meeting people who have amazing stories to tell. 

Who are some of your favourite people that you have met during your time working with Breakfast TV?

Teenage me would have been so happy to know that in a few years time I would get to meet all of the members of Busted, McFly and the legend that is Craig David but seriously, my favourite person so far has been astronaut Tim Peake because it’s not often you get to talk to someone who has actually been to space. 

What does the future hold? (Both in life and work)

I would love to still be working at Breakfast in five years time. I’m sure the way we work will change a lot, but I think people will always want news from the BBC in one form or another. I would love to work and live abroad for a bit if the opportunity ever came up, but for now I feel really settled up North, and I love exploring the countryside here, which reminds me so much of growing up in Gloucestershire. 

And finally, if you could give one piece of advice to the current crop of sixth formers about to join the real world, what would it be?

Always remember that your career is a big part of your life, but it’s not your whole life. 

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech